Job Opening – Division Director for Environmental Protection
Location: New Mexico Office of the Attorney General, Santa Fe or Albuquerque, New Mexico
Employment Type: Full-Time
***Open Until the Position is Filled***
The New Mexico Office of the Attorney General is seeking a dynamic and experienced individual to join our team as the Division Director for Environmental Protection. The Environmental Protection Division Director is responsible for overseeing and managing legal matters related to environmental protection and enforcement. Their primary focus is to ensure compliance with environmental laws and regulations, protect natural resources, pursue affirmative environmental protection litigation, and advocate for the preservation of environmental resources and environmental quality standards.
● Provide legal counsel and guidance on matters related to environmental laws, regulations, and policies to various government agencies, departments, and officials.
● Oversee and manage enforcement actions related to environmental violations, which can involve conducting investigations, collaborating with law enforcement agencies, and initiating legal proceedings against violators.
● Assist in the development and implementation of environmental policies and regulations at the state or federal level.
● Advocate for environmental protection and conservation initiatives, including supporting or opposing environmental legislation, participating in public hearings, and representing the Attorney General’s Office in environmental matters before administrative bodies and courts.
● Collaborate with other government agencies, non-profit organizations, and stakeholders involved in environmental protection and enforcement efforts.
● Oversee and manage litigation related to environmental matters, including working with other attorneys, managing case strategy, and ensuring legal actions are aligned with the overall objectives of the Attorney General’s Office.
● Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school.
● Admission to the New Mexico state bar and in good standing or the ability to acquire a limited law license.
● 6 years of experience in litigation, with a demonstrated focus on affirmative litigation and 3 years of management experience preferred.
● Strong knowledge of environmental law and other relevant legal areas.
● Proven track record of developing and executing successful litigation strategies.
● Excellent leadership and management skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate a team of attorneys and legal professionals.
● Outstanding legal research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
● Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
● Ability to work effectively under pressure, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines.
● Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with diverse stakeholders.
● Demonstrated commitment to social justice, equality, and public interest law.
To apply for the position of Division Director for Environmental Protection, please submit the following documents to Dean Woulard at firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. Cover letter detailing your interest in the role and your relevant experience.
2. Resume/CV with a detailed overview of your educational and professional background.
3. Writing samples showcasing your legal research and writing abilities.
4. Contact information for three professional references.
The New Mexico Office of the Attorney General is committed to recruiting the highest quality candidates who support the values of integrity, excellence and service. We have a commitment to honesty, ethical behavior, and transparency in all actions and decisions. We strive for the highest level of professionalism and expertise in all aspects of our work. And we have a strong dedication to serving the public interest and prioritizing the well-being of the community – especially the interests of those least capable of defending themselves. The New Mexico Office of the Attorney General is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.