Job Opening – Director of Legal Recruiting and Attorney Retention
Location: New Mexico Office of the Attorney General, Santa Fe or Albuquerque, New Mexico
Employment Type: Full-Time
***Open Until the Position is Filled***
Are you passionate about talent acquisition and looking for an exciting opportunity to make a difference in the legal field? Are you passionate about supporting and retaining talented attorneys? Do you have a knack for building strong relationships and providing guidance to legal professionals? Join the New Mexico Attorney General’s Office as the Director of Legal Recruiting and Attorney Retention and play a vital role in attracting top legal professionals to serve our community and enhancing attorney satisfaction and retention. We are seeking a skilled and motivated individual to join our team in either Albuquerque or Santa Fe, New Mexico.
• Develop and implement effective recruiting strategies to attract highly qualified attorneys and legal professionals to the Attorney General’s Office.
• Collaborate with hiring managers to identify staffing needs, job requirements, and desired qualifications.
• Create compelling job postings and advertisements to attract a diverse pool of candidates.
• Utilize various recruitment channels, including online job boards, social media platforms, professional networks, and legal associations, to source potential candidates.
• Screen resumes and applications, conduct interviews, and evaluate candidates’ skills, experience, and cultural fit.
• Coordinate and participate in recruitment events, job fairs, and career expos to promote the Attorney General’s Office as an employer of choice.
• Stay informed about legal industry trends, market conditions, and competitive practices to enhance recruitment strategies.
• Ensure compliance with all applicable employment laws and regulations.
• Develop and implement strategies to enhance attorney satisfaction, engagement, and retention within the Attorney General’s Office.
• Establish and maintain positive relationships with attorneys and provide guidance on career development, work-life balance, and professional growth opportunities.
• Conduct regular check-ins and exit interviews to understand attorneys’ concerns, motivations, and feedback.
• Collaborate with HR and management to address concerns, implement solutions, and improve the overall work environment.
• Develop and oversee programs and initiatives to promote attorney wellness, work-life balance, and a positive organizational culture.
• Coordinate with the training direction training sessions, workshops, and seminars to support attorneys’ professional development.
• Collaborate with HR to identify and address potential retention challenges during the hiring process.
• Stay informed about industry trends, compensation benchmarks, and market conditions to provide recommendations for competitive attorney retention strategies.
• Analyze retention metrics and data to identify patterns, trends, and opportunities for improvement.
• Provide guidance to management on talent management strategies and succession planning.
• Bachelor’s degree in human resources, psychology, business administration, or a related field. A Juris Doctor (JD) degree is a plus.
• Proven experience as a recruiter, preferably in legal recruitment or government agencies.
• Proven experience in attorney retention, talent management, or employee engagement roles.
• Familiarity with legal terminology and the ability to assess candidates’ legal knowledge and qualifications.
• Strong knowledge of recruitment best practices and techniques.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication, with the ability to build trust and rapport with attorneys at all levels.
• Ability to build strong relationships with internal stakeholders, external partners, and candidates.
• Exceptional organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
• Strong knowledge of attorney career development, work-life balance, and retention best practices.
• Familiarity with legal industry dynamics and the ability to understand the unique challenges faced by attorneys.
• Strong problem-solving and conflict resolution abilities.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion.
To apply for the position of Director of Legal Recruiting and Attorney Retention, please submit the following documents to Dean Woulard at firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. Cover letter detailing your interest in the role and your relevant experience.
2. Resume/CV with a detailed overview of your educational and professional background.
3. Writing samples showcasing your legal research and writing abilities.
4. Contact information for three professional references.
The New Mexico Office of the Attorney General is committed to recruiting the highest quality candidates who support the values of integrity, excellence and service. We have a commitment to honesty, ethical behavior, and transparency in all actions and decisions. We strive for the highest level of professionalism and expertise in all aspects of our work. And we have a strong dedication to serving the public interest and prioritizing the well-being of the community – especially the interests of those least capable of defending themselves. The New Mexico Office of the Attorney General is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.