The Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Attorney General enforces consumer laws in the State of New Mexico that exist to shield the public from fraudulent and unfair business practices. Our state’s principal consumer law is the Unfair Practices Act. Under the Unfair Practices Act, the Division provides multi-level services to the public to ensure that consumers have safe and satisfactory interactions with businesses operating in New Mexico.
The Office of the Attorney General does not act and cannot act as a private attorney for individual citizens. However, in some matters, if a consumer is unable to resolve a dispute with a business, the Consumer Protection Division’s complaint resolution services may be available. There is no charge to the public for these services.
Consumer Complaint Form
Complaint form includes detailed instructions.
Some of the types of complaints the Consumer Protection Division handles:
- Auto sales- new or used automobiles
- Mobile home sales
- Auto repairs
- Disputes with collection agencies
- Extension of credit, including payday and car title loans, mortgages, and retail installment contracts
- Retail sales
- Home building and home improvement repairs
- Sale of warranties
- Games and contests
The Consumer Protection Division does NOT handle:
- Complaints against other governmental entities
- Child support disputes
- Divorce, child custody and visitation and other domestic relations matters
- Criminal issues
- Disputes between homeowner’s association members with their association
- Disputes between individuals not involving a business
- Disputes purely involving the sale of land
- Collection of a debt
The Consumer Protection Division may refer certain types of complaints to another agency or entity:
- Disputes with utilities companies (including landline phone companies)
- Disputes with cellular phone companies
- Insurance disputes
- Landlord/tenant disputes
IF YOUR MATTER DOES NOT FIT INTO ANY OF THESE CATEGORIES, PLEASE CALL US AT 1-800-678-1508 TO DISCUSS YOUR SITUATION WITH ONE OF OUR ADVOCATES BEFORE YOU FILE YOUR COMPLAINT.